Monday, April 26, 2010

MISSING A RACE BUT NOT THE RUN AND THE FUN

I registered for The North Face Thrill of the Trail 100 but missed it. While trail runs are one of the many things I look forward to, I gladly skipped running the TNF 100 in Baguio for some reasons. I was torn between the thought of what I could possibly miss out if I did not join and the implications if I did. So just like deciding on other issues, (while running) I weighed the pros and cons of joining the race.

PROS

  • Having the rare opportunity of doing a trail run. Baguio at that.
  • Getting to read a book during a long land trip
  • Maximizing the registration fee
CONS

  • Getting tired with the trip. I just came from Baguio last week for the public interview of Chief Justice candidates. Just the thought of going there again was exhausting.
  • Budget. Consider the unexpected expenses I recently had, I thought I should save up the money I’d use in my stay in Baguio for other needs.
  • Potential injuries. I am preparing for The Bull Runner marathon in May so I cannot afford any injury before that and trail runs are really high risk.
  • Running 22K would be short of my target 28K that week and doing 50K would not be a good preparation for the May marathon.

I considered going to Laguna for the Greenfield Sunset Run instead since it was closer and joining a race has already been part of my weekend routine. But I thought I’d get the same cons if I did that so I also did not go.

But even if there was no race for me this weekend, I still spent it running. Last Saturday, I did my speedwork in Amoranto Gym. I woke up at 6:00 am, completed an hour run with 10 rounds of interval runs in a track and field oval.

Last Sunday, I did my scheduled 3.5- hour run.

I ran the entire stretch of Sct. Limbaga from Kamuning area to Mother Ignacia, to Roces Ave back to Morato then to Kamuning Road to Anonas all the way to Xavierville Ave and Ateneo. After doing four rounds inside the Ateneo campus, I went back to Katipunan and entered University of the Philippines where I did my last 6.6 kilometers.

I loved the serenity inside the Ateneo Campus. I was the only one running. Although the heat of the sun was scorching, there were many parts of the campus that felt cool. The trees were providing enough shade and the silence allowed me to reflect on many things. It was the best point of my run aside from my last round in UP when I knew that I was close to achieving my target.

I was glad I did not give in to excuses in my head that would rationalize quitting.

Excuse #1: It was unbearably hot and I had no hydration with me

Counter: I knew I could get it from many stores along the way.

Excuse #2: I just finished a good run the day before so maybe I should rest and give my muscles a chance to recover.

Counter: I had enough time to recover from an hour run since I practically did not do anything than read and watch movies after.

My ultimate motivation was not just finishing a marathon, but stronger and faster than the first one. Therefore, I should train and rise above these thoughts plus knowing me, it will take a while before I recover from being frustrated if I gave up.

I was so proud of myself for choosing to go on. I wouldn’t trade that joy of completing a long run.

I treated myself with a bowl of lugaw with egg after and a stroll along UP University Avenue filled with sunflowers.

3 comments:

  1. cool stuff. I still have problem with my metatarsal so i cannot run at the moment. Hope to see podiatrist soon :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. sama ako minsan sa mga long run mo... lalo na sa UPd kasi di ko alam ang mga route dun. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi jon! thanks. hope you feel better soon :)
    thanks james! sige, text text minsan. let's do campus tour running :)

    ReplyDelete