Friday, April 23, 2010

RUNNING AND RALLYING


Nothing beats the feeling of crossing the finish line. Finishing strongly happens when muscles gain extra strength as soon as you get a glance of the finish line and you know that you no longer have to run beyond that.

That’s exactly what I felt when the Freedom of Information bill was passed on third reading by the Senate on December 14. I felt so close to the finish line I could see the imprints in the banner. I knew that we just entered the last leg of the advocacy but the roller coaster ride will continue.

Our mid-distance run began when the bill was first sponsored in the Senate. It could not be a long one given the very narrow opportunity before the Congress adjourns and not a short run considering the remaining stages we still had to go through.

I also knew that the run would not be easy and would need all the patience I earned my entire life. I remember calling the Senate everyday to inquire, if by any chance the bill would be tackled in the plenary or if anyone has reserved to interpellate and I would always get an indefinite answer.



UPHILLS

Until the most awaited yet most dreaded day came. Three Senators reserved to interpellate and Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago was one of them. It was one of the most horrible days in the advocacy knowing how Senator Santiago could burden us with complex and unpredictable issues. Even if we were assured of the Senator’s support, it was not enough to cushion our fears.

The interpellation finally came. Sen. Santiago was surprisingly calm and friendly. She talked about the executive privilege, among others. And although she raised difficult questions, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano satisfactorily answered them.

Sen. Arroyo’s day came. He raised issues about the separation of powers and suggested that the bill should focus on the executive. I was exasperated with his concerns and was worried that if he decides to stick to these points, we would be in trouble because agreeing to him was as good as throwing the bill out the window. But Sen. Cayetano was able to convince Sen. Arroyo that while we could not accommodate his concerns, the Technical Working Group would review them.

And when I was about to bring out the champagne, Sen. Arroyo said he would continue his interpellation the next session. Meaning, I had to hold my breath for a few days more. Considering the time and the uncertainty about when his next interpellation would be, we could not help but worry.

It was at this juncture that we decided we should take the campaign a notch higher.

We launched a rally calling for the immediate passage of the bill. The Right to Know. Right Now! network was at the frontline of this effort. Almost 300 participants from various sectors were present. We marched from the Film Center to the Senate grounds. Every step signified our hope that the Senate would see the urgency of passing the bill. Staying under the heat of the sun was piercing but no one dropped their streamer or left their post. Everyone stood for hours until the good news came. The Senate promised on record that the bill would be passed on third reading on the first week of November.



INJURIES

Although we were assured of a milestone, we remained on guard, watching closely whether the Senate would keep their word and it did not. The session went on recess with the FOI still pending for approval on second reading. I thought we’d get to the finish line faster but I was wrong. We’ve had injuries. Various events cropped up including two super typhoons and the start of the budget hearing.

Time- pressed and frustrated. The network decided to launch a bigger rally. But the Maguindanao massacre happened.

At the time, when Congress had to focus on the massacre and the budget hearing was on the table, and the session was soon to go on a recess, everyone around me, including a part of me, were sending condolences and sympathy for a dying bill. I was hurting about what happened in Maguindanao and counted the FOI bill as one of its casualties. That voice called reality was yelling at me, telling me that the point of surrender has come. The injuries were too excruciating, the next mile would mean death.

I was sustained by the thought that if this advocacy were a race, there is no way I'd cling to any idea of quitting. Hope did not frustrate me.

Sen. Alan Cayetano informed us that Sen. Pimentel withdrew his interpellation, Sen. Arroyo decided not to continue his and the bill was passed on 2nd reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment