Sunday, August 29, 2010

Surreal encounter with an Ironwoman


Plans were the last thing I thought of when I first hit the road running. All I did was respond to that consistent, persistent urge to run and run and run. I did not even think of joining a single race and had no idea about marathons. But things changed in time. Until now, I can’t point out the exact moment when I transitioned from being a leisure runner to a “more serious one” when I began to indulge in the science of running and plan. I don’t know when and why I started surfing the Runner’s World site to look for tips on better running form, exercise, diet, gears, etc. and included visiting The Bullrunner site in my daily routine.

While I was trying to work on my running, I encountered the word, TRIATHLON. Although that was not the first time I heard of it, it sounded more significantly at that time. I still brushed it aside and thought I wasn’t cut for it since I hate water sports and don’t know how to ride a bike. I decided I should concentrate on running first.

But maybe a runner will always be bugged by triathlon. I often encounter it on those sites that I visit, meet triathletes and wannabes in races until I was captured by it too.

It was one of my closest running buddies, Ms. Chu Solano, who’d always talk about triathlon. She wanted us to get into it together so she arranged swimming lessons for us and looked for bikes. Although I was hesitant in the beginning, I’ve to admit that she really reinforced that secret dream of mine. The dream became more alive but still wasn’t enough to move me to take it any further until I met Ms. Monica Torres this morning. She placed 4th in the 2010 Ironman 70.3 Philippines’ Overall Women’s Division and 1st among the Filipino women for two consecutive years. I saw her in UP Diliman while I was doing my long run. I was so hypnotized by her presence I stopped running and approached her.


Lactacyd Women Relay with my team mates and Monica (on my right)

I first met her in the Lactacyd Women Relay in June. I was also in awe then but it was different this morning. It felt like seeing her the first time. I had a list of questions in mind when I was walking towards her. I wanted to ask how she prepared for the 70.3, her diet, etc. but none of these came out of my mouth.

Our conversation:

Me: Excuse me. Hi Monica! (note that she was surrounded by almost ten people and they were talking when I approached her.)

Monica: Hi po.

Me: Uhm…

Monica: (staring at me, wondering what I was there for).

Me: Congratulations!

Monica: Thank you.

Me: Uhm.. Monica.. (5 second dead air), pwede magpa picture?

Monica: Opo. Sure po.

(Picture, picture)


With an Ironwoman, Monica

Me: Congratulations ulit. Salamat.

Monica: Salamat po.

Me: (One of the worst extros) Ok. Sige. Bye. (Whaaaat?!?)

Then I started running again. While running, I was smiling at how I behaved around her.

I couldn’t get over that brief encounter that until now I look at our photo once in a while. Everytime I see it, I tell myself that one day, I’ll be like her. Well, not exactly. To be a finisher would be great.

So today marks my iron will to reach that iron dream inspired by an iron girl.

Strike while the iron is hot! ;)

5 comments:

  1. Go go go Reylynne! Bet you can be as cool as Monica =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ate Carrie! ;) I hope so ;) When can we run together po?

    ReplyDelete
  3. naku i had a bad attack of asthma since last week of august pa. maybe its the weather =( lets see when and where can we meet and run the soonest =)

    ReplyDelete