Sunday, September 19, 2010

My favorite races so far (Part 2)

Top 3

Quezon City International Marathon

October 2009, Commonwealth, Quezon City

21K; 2:30

QCIM was my first half marathon, maybe one of my unforgettable long runs since I had it just two months after I got addicted to running. Like my first full marathon, I was also half hearted about jumping into the half marathon thinking it was too much, too soon. And like what I did when I registered for the Condura Marathon, I got myself in the 21K list while in trance, turned my back from the registration table to give no room for any second thought and started training. QCIM was my baptism in the running world. Although not my first race, since I joined GMA 7’s Tatakbo ka Ba and Rescue Run for Ondoy victims prior, my running friends said those were not like the usual races so I didn’t have any idea about how a “real” race goes.

I was extremely overwhelmed with the vast number of runners who joined the race. That was the first time I got introduced to that vibrant community of runners. I was smiling while walking towards the start line. What a sight! I relished in that dream world that I didn’t hear the gun start. I just learned that it was already fired when I felt being pushed by the runners behind me. That was it- the beginning of a dream. I knew it would be a long journey of so many firsts and it indeed was.

That was the first time I saw pacers, I didn’t know there was such a thing. I never imagined that there’d be bananas and cheerers along the way. I was so entertained by all these I didn’t realize I was getting close to the finish line. When I reached the finish, I almost cried. I could not contain the joy. I was too happy and proud I went home wearing my medal.

This year, I will pay tribute to that wonderful QCIM experience by doing a 42K.


Top 2

Conquer Corregidor

December 2009, Corregidor

16K; sub-2

I like history but not as much as my other friends. But even then, I had no second thoughts about joining the Conquer Corregidor run. The chance of going there and revisiting the Philippine history were enough for me to be willing to go through the challenging registration process. I took a half-day off just to be able to register and make arrangements for travel and accommodations. That’s how decided I was.

I fell in-love with the place the moment I set my eyes on it from the window of the ferry. Corregidor was oozing with freshness despite being filled with antiquity. I loved the space, the air and the thought that so much of my present were influenced by what occurred in that place. The day before the race, my friend and I joined the tour until late night and took pleasure in taking photos of the place.

With hundreds of runners waiting for the start at the Malinta Tunnel

And although we waited for almost an hour before the start, it was worth it. The route was amazing. We started at the Malinta tunnel and ran around the place where more historical artifacts were displayed. I knew that the road where I set my foot on was the same road many Filipino heroes walked on. While running and seeing the ruins, I was reflecting on where we are now as a nation until I reached those killer up hills when I began to lose my senses. The part that I loved the most was running beside the sea where the cold wind was gushing on my face. I couldn’t help but adore the God of creation. The entire course led me to worshipping the Lord whose beauty and goodness screams through his creation.

It was a heavenly experience that when I crossed the finish line, I wanted to run more which I’d probably do this year.


Top 1

The Bullrunner Dream Marathon

22 May 2010, Nuvali, Laguna

42K; 4:38

Everytime I’m asked about TBR DM, I'm always at a loss about where and how to start. The second I think about it, so many thoughts begin to cross my mind, I don’t know which one to say first. Sometimes when I talk about it, I notice myself not finishing my sentences because I jump from one thought to another so quickly. My tongue could not catch up with my brain which is filled with good and heartwarming memories. It always feels like it just happened yesterday.

IT'S THE BEST MARATHON! IT'S PERFECT! I don’t know how else to describe it. Every single moment before, during and after the race is still vivid. I can still hear Jaymie Pizarro (The Bullrunner) hosting the Bull Sessions, introducing the speakers, etc. I can still hear Neville of 2nd Wind say “We run the marathon because it’s there.” I can still feel the excitement of joining our long runs. I can still feel that sense of family during the race when everyone was so engrossed in nothing but supporting each other in fulfilling each of our dreams together.

With Kuya Brian Ng and Kuya Lito Lopez at the finish line

The support that Jaymie and the rest of the team gave was fantastic. It was more than enough and beyond what we expected. I don’t think I will ever find another race with such kind of pampering.

Aside from the many lessons in running I gained from the TBR DM program, it was finding new friends that I will always thank it for.

I consider being in the first batch of the TBR DM a lifetime honor and pride, and I will pay it forward by volunteering to help the second batch.


3 comments:

  1. Talagang Number 1 ang TBR Dream Marathon!!! Proud to be your classmate in the pioneer batch.

    Btw, we have the same 1-2 rankings of favorite races last year. See you at QCIM and at the Rock this December! Lets do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes James, will always, always be. kahit mag NYC or Boston Marathon pa ko, TBR DM will always be my no.1 race ;)

    Hi Leo! Yes, proud to be your classmate too ;) Really? same ranking? astig? Yes, let's do this! see you! ;)

    ReplyDelete