Tuesday, November 9, 2010

RUNNING WITHOUT "FRILLS"


I learned a lot from my parents. One of which was the virtue of being content with simple things and the joy of accepting the reality that there are many things I want that I'd not be able to get because I couldn’t afford. Not that they taught me to be a mediocre and not work hard but it was about the value of embracing a fact of life that we’re not as financially privileged as others are but certainly not less blessed. I’ve seen my parents exert all effort to provide for our needs and give some of our wants. They taught me and my siblings to distinguish between needs and wants; between those wants that we should once in a while indulge ourselves into and those that fall under the "spur of the momen"t category and therefore should not be taken seriously.

I grew up realizing the need to give my best to get those that I dream of; material or otherwise. I also gained the ability to turn my back without feeling down from something I so desire by simply telling myself that I have limited resources and should prioritize those that I truly need. I never complained about this limitation especially when I started to see that my situation is better than those whose needs are more basic. I don’t capitalize on other’s poverty for comfort, it's just that this sad truth humbles me and allows me to put things in perspective.

These lessons I carry in many aspects of life, even in running. When I got into it, all I knew was I wanted to run because it felt good. As I was slowly getting engrossed in it, I discovered that there were other considerations to take to run more efficiently like buying the right shoes to avoid an injury. I checked the costs of running shoes and was surprised to find out how expensive they could get. The practical side of me was screaming. I had to satisfy and convince it with countless reasons that a pair of running shoes deserved that amount of money. I thought it was a genuine need and not just a ploy of capitalism. So after a long debate with myself, I bought my first pair of running shoes. It was worth it. I wore it in my first race.

In that race, I saw runners wearing nice and fancy stuff. Although I found them amazing, it didn’t really bother me until a friend commented and said that running is a sport for the rich who can afford to buy the “necessary” accessories to run efficiently. I was so quick to refute it. Then I heard another person telling me that she got intimidated and insecure being with runners who had gears she could not afford. I told her she didn’t need to have them as long as she has the right running shoes. I believe other things can be negotiated but not the running shoes since messing that up could result to greater cost of having to heal an injury.

Before I continue, let me say that I have nothing against those who choose to splurge in gears and equipment they feel they need to run more efficiently. I strongly support those choices. I think that need is a relative concept. What I think I need may not be the same as others and vice versa. I am also not saying that it’s bad to have stuff in excess of needs especially if one has the ability to buy. I am not here to judge others and say that I am better or encroach on other people's choices and decisions. I intend nothing of the sort.

I’m writing this to argue the point that people like me who don’t have so much means to buy expensive gears have no place in the world of running and would enjoy it less and not be as efficient. I also hope to inspire those who are having these thoughts that discrimination never had a place in running. One thing that I loved about this sport was that it’s a social equalizer. It does not recognize gender, social status, nationality or race, etc. Anyone can get into running and enjoy it to the fullest.

Since I consider myself one of the simplest runners, I’d like to share my experience for whatever it’s worth. By simple I mean, having nothing but the basic gears in running. Simple can have another meaning but for the sake of clarity of connotations with respect to this article, let me use that as an operating definition of simple.


RUNNING SHOES

I have two running shoes but using only one most of the time and got the second one only by accident.

In 2009, I bought my running shoes and then lost it so I had to buy another one. It was so devastating. Imagine how I had to save up to buy that shoes and the fear that I might not be able to buy another one soon considering that there was an upcoming race at that time. So, as soon as I had extra money for shoes, I went to the store and grabbed the cheapest I saw. I used it in a 21K race and had a terrible injury after so I bought another one which I have been using for almost a year now. The support is no longer that efficient. It has gone three full marathons and undergoing training for my fourth. It’s causing me injury now which means I have to buy another one soon. It's an urgent need but will have to wait a bit since I still have to plan my finances carefully being one of the breadwinners in the house. Until a surprise came through a friend who offered to give me her slightly used shoes. Nice! ;)

- My best running buddy that I soon have to let go -


APPARELS

I only have a few cheap running shorts. It’s good that I’m most comfortable with shorts that’s why I have never been enticed by compression tights although some said they provide comfort and are good for muscle recovery. I’m not sure if it’s because of the price that I have learned to convince myself that I will not be comfortable with it or the other way around. But the point is if you can’t afford it, maybe shorts can do the trick until you get the chance to buy one if you think you really need it.

I only have two caps. One, I bought on sale, the other one, was given by a friend and so far, it works for me. Just don’t mind looking the same in your running pictures. Let go of the fashion concerns and you’ll do great with a few gears.

I’ve never bought any running shirt. I only have one given by Runnex, everything else are free from races.


GADGETS

I use my old, almost useless cellular phone as an “i-pod”. I’ve been meaning to buy an i-pod but because of many other priorities, it’s been parked. While I can use my other cell phone to entertain myself during long runs, I choose my old phone because it's more durable. I place masking tape on its earphones to keep the wires intact since they’re already loose. When you see me on the road reaching something from my pocket, that’s because I’m trying to fix the tape on my phone so I could hear the sounds clearly. It's the one I used it in all my marathons. It survived being soaked in the rain that’s why I value it a lot.

-My Ay! pod that has kept me going like no other-

I’ve no garmin nor sports watch, I just depend on my old celfon or ask other runners if I want to check my pace or my time, although most times I just wait until I cross the finish line to keep that element of surprise and sustain my impatience which pushes me to go faster.


JOINING RACES

Weekend races are definitely fun. It feels good being surrounded with a multitude of runners but these days race fees have become a bit expensive. I had a friend who made computations of how much she spent on running and I was surprised of the total. I also encounter runners, especially the older ones, who’d tell me they could no longer afford joining races even if they wanted to.

I used to join all weekly runs but eventually learned to select. I personally choose those whose beneficiaries or advocacy I strongly support, those that offer long distances, those with nice and new routes and are organized by reliable groups.

I said that discrimination never had its place in running but practicality and innovations had. There are so many ways you can enjoy running without having to spend too much. You can either run alone or invite friends to run with you, etc.

The whole point is that one can enjoy running without having to worry about gears, gadgets and what have you. Go back to the basic – right running shoes, comfortable shorts/tights, shirt and cap. They don’t have to be in the high end. But if you think you need more than these and that you really need the branded ones, then go for it. If at the moment, you cannot afford them, you can make do of the cheaper, comfortable ones and then buy those in the future. But not having them or other stuff should not stop anyone from getting into running.

After all, there's thrill in running without "frills".

4 comments:

  1. Hihi! :) Cute nito! :) Yay! Na-miss ko makitakbo (kahit super ikli sa tinatakbo mo at super bagal ng pace ko Ate Rey..) Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks fars! hehe! sige, takbo tayo minsan. kailangan na rin ni toix e. haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    Nice article. Like you, I'm not fond of splurging. I just buy what I "need" / what is important. Joining races could be expensive and running a race once every quarter is enough.

    Running shouldn't be an expensive sport. Basic requirements: A pair of running shoes and the road. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    http://runningenthusiast.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete