Wednesday, November 4, 2015

RUNNER, RUSHER, REFORMER, NOW.. REBEL!


I am a 34- year old development worker. I’ve been in several non-government organizations that worked on various issues such as good governance and anti-corruption; human rights; political and electoral reforms; humanitarian; and disaster risk reduction and management, among others. I’ve had talks and written various pieces on these issues and on theology too. I’m an activist and had taken a lot of risks to fight for what I believe in.  I also run a lot; had once been a competitive one.

My life sounds serious and profound. Seems like I spend my days on important matters alone. The closest to being fun that I could probably think of is being a consistent listener of a radio show, "The Morning Rush" for years now; I am a rusher at heart.

I don’t brag any of those. I just want to offer a context to what happened recently when I heard an acquaintance called me immature and cheap; that I am not being myself after they learned that I spend so much time tweeting and actively participating in a fandom; about how engrossed I’ve been in watching a teleserye when it was still airing and even watching its previous episodes after. They could not believe how it shapes me, sustains me and saves me.

I don’t mind being judged for being a fanatic, an addict, an avid, a rabbid, active member of a fandom called RaStro Rebels- those who admire, follow and love (yes, love!) Rhian Ramos and Glaiza De Castro as the lead actors of The Rich Man’s Daughter. TRMD was a prime time teleserye that courageously presented issues that lesbians/ gays face. For me it’s revolutionary; it’s as relevant as the advocacies I fight for. We can sit down and argue about it if you wish to. I have all the ammunitions to build my case even if I don't think I owe that to anyone.

It’s so easy for people to accuse fans like us and tag us like we’re just a bunch of crazy, empty individuals without even understanding where we’re coming from.

The fandom I belong to is a world of its own as much as it is universal. We have our own jargon and inside jokes but our stories are as real as everybody else.

The fandom is one of the most intelligent societies I’ve ever been to. Our conversations can be just pure fun but can also be as deep; the wit is exceptional; the creativity’s superb; the connection’s amazing.

It’s a world where equality is lived out. Our experiences and admiration, call it addiction, towards RaStro bind us regardless of social status, age, preferences and even nationality- because there is Team International (Ehem! Proud!). We trascend demographics and borders better than political coalitions and religious groups I know.

I’ve not seen a community that so willingly supports the people they look up to and would exert so much effort to show it. Rhian and Glaiza are kind too; they see us as people and not inanimate objects in their careers.

It’s a family where people seem to care for each other as if we’ve known everyone in person ever since. We don’t feel alone in whatever struggle we go through and in dealing with the rejection that some of us may be facing for being who we are; it’s as much an escape as it is a reality check.

It’s a space where we can come as we are and breathe and simply have fun. We have our own moments, face issues, argue but we're able to settle them in ways that only us understand. Most times these "fights" are set aside when we need to unite for RaStro or for a concern that matters to all of us.

Call me shallow, call me cheap. If shallow means standing up against discrimination in our own way; if cheap means offering a new paradigm against the current understanding of norms; then I am. I don’t care how you see us because we don’t need anyone’s approval, thus our name.

I am an activist and now a Rebel as well and I will always be happy and proud of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment