Monday, May 31, 2010

My Nature Valley Run story: To run or not to run

Should I continue running or should I just stop?”

This was the loud argument in my mind during the Nature Valley Run last Sunday. I registered for 21K. I missed it. It’s been a while since I joined the 21K category.

I was in High Street as early as 3:30 am. I was so excited I even told my friend not to bring the car so we wouldn’t have to worry about parking which might delay us like the last Century Tuna run. We took pictures, ate banana and had Gatorade. Before I headed to the start line, I met a TBR DM classmate who was running 10K. At the start line, I met two other TBR DM classmates who thought 21K would be easy for me because I finished our marathon with a good time. I said no because really each race for me is always like the first time.

I was very excited. I did not set any target. I just wanted to enjoy the run. It was a very relaxing pre run feel.

So why did I think of quitting?

Reason #1: ACID REFLUX

After running the first five kilometers, I felt a sudden pain in my stomach which has been bothering my runs last week. It was an acid reflux. A problem I used to have. Now, it’s making a grand come back. I wanted to vomit several times while running. It made me feel dizzy. My hands were starting to get cold.

Assault: I just drank water and had gel. I suspected it was the acid from Gatorade and insufficient pre-race meal. That morning I ate less than what I usually have. That’s the same theory I had in my recent runs.

Lesson: I should be more disciplined with my diet. Since I started to maintain my weight and was eating less than before, I realized that my stomach could not contain heavy eating anymore. While I thought that it was good, I think I kind of exaggerated it. I probably, without being deliberate, was eating less than my usual diet. Being too busy with other responsibilities also made eating in regular intervals impossible. I had several hungers causing the reflux.

Reason #2: NUMBING ARMS

Maybe because of the acid reflux, my arms were slowly numbing at Km5. It was a strange feeling. I felt like it’s starting to get cold as well. I could hardly swing it.

Assault: I swayed it repeatedly and allowed the blood to flow.

Lesson: Since I suspected that it was due to the stomach problem, diet is also the solution.

Reason #3: HEAD ACHING

This is a confession. I ran without enough sleep. At about the same time when I had the acid reflux, I also began to gasp for air. My head was aching and floating. My legs could hardly move. I usually rest the whole day before a race especially if I’m joining half or full marathon but not last Saturday.

I was not getting enough sleep the entire week last week because of too much work and frustration about what’s happening in Congress. I made it worse by attempting to run with friends last Saturday morning. We set it at 6:00 am. I knew I shouldn’t do it since Saturday was my only time to oversleep. I gambled and still said yes. I set the alarm clock at 4:30 am and attempted to get up but I couldn’t. But because something was set, I couldn’t go back to deep sleep anymore. That’s me. I have a hard time saying no to invitations.

So the Friday sleep was bad. I should have tried to recover by resting but I could not. I had to attend to a family duty which I was happy I did. That’s something I never set aside. For me, it’s always family first. I actually still had enough time to rest after that thing with my family but I went out with friends. It was important for me as well. I wanted so much to be with my friends and catch up. And because I’m one person who wants to be able to do everything, I went out with them and even if I could go home earlier, I chose to stay late.

Assault: Nothing. I thought coffee could do the trick but it did not. I just filled my system with more caffeine from gels.

Lesson: Take rest and sleep as serious as training. No gimmicks before race day.

Reason #4: KNEE INJURY

If you saw me during the run, you must have noticed the pain in my face. It was so obvious I was biting my lips because it was so excruciating. It's an injury caused by my scoliosis at the lower back. My left leg is longer so it takes most of the pressure when running. I usually have it immediately after but never during long runs and it disappears the following day. When I ran the TBR Marathon last week I felt the pain while running but it was tolerable unlike yesterday. When we reached the Buendia flyover, it hit me. I thought my left knee was going to break into pieces. I could hardly move it. I almost screamed.

Assault: I walked to give my running muscles some rest and placed ice on it. I ran slow and easy until I felt it was better.

Lesson: Have it checked. Don’t be afraid to hear the doctor say I should get some rest, etc. Maybe do more strengthening exercises both for my knees and back.

Reason#5: TERRIBLE SATURDAY

I had a bad Saturday. My friend and I went to the gym for swimming. On our way there, we hit something and had to have the car fixed. As if that stress was not enough, another terrible thing happened.

After swimming, we decided to go to a car wash station. I left my bag in a chair beside us, stood up and checked the car. After 10 seconds, a man in his motorbike passed by and snatched my bag. I lost all my swimming stuff, worse including my TBR marathon finisher’s shirt. It was a lost investment. Our house key was also lost so we were worried the snatcher might be able to trace where we live. Although I was able to convince myself to let go, I felt that it was weighing on me while running.

Assault: Let go. There are things I have no control over. I tried to focus on the bright side that it was not the other bag where more valuables were that was snatched.

Lesson: Be more careful.

I had many walks compared to my previous 21Ks but I had to do it to sustain my energy until the finish line. Yes, I ran through pain because I knew I could still do it. I was sure my body could still take the pain otherwise I wouldn’t mind quitting to avoid a greater disaster. The decision to go on was a calculated risk. I carefully listened to my body more than that voice called pride telling me that quitting is only for losers. I think that the wisdom to discern when to stop or go is a constant challenge for runners. I believe that to stop if pain spells a greater, long term tragedy is as noble as having the strength and motivation to surpass the pain until the finish.

I was happy I did not quit and heard my body right. I hope that when I find myself in the same situation, I’d still be able to decide with wisdom and strength to go on and humility and courage to stop.

But all these ordeals were replaced with joy because of two surprises- a 2:05 finish and a pint of delicious Haagen Dazs ice cream. :)



3 comments:

  1. Good time parin Ate Rey! Ang galing! Ikaw talaga, you like doing everything kasi kahit pwede namang ndi. Anyhow, galing paring. COngrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi runvocate!
    Hanga ako sa iyo... With all those injuries you still have finished the race. Good job!
    And I learned a lot sa post mo.
    I will be more prepared sa mga run ko.
    God Bless.

    Jerick :-)

    ReplyDelete