Wednesday, July 28, 2010

SONA: A declining pace

When I got injured in the 2010 Milo Marathon, one of the things I asked myself was whether I ran too fast in the beginning of the race that I burned all my energy and had to drag myself to the finish line. It’s a common weakness among runners who get so excited at the sound of the gun start and would want to take advantage of the adrenalin rush. I have that tendency. And even if I’m already in the recovery stage, I could not help but recall that Milo moment while listening to the SONA. I think P.Noy did a good start by choosing to deliver his speech in Filipino and throwing shocking figures that have been kept in the dark. It was good that he finally opened up those books that have been sealed with greed for centuries. It was admirable how he effectively translated concepts of accountability into more tangible terms when he said that those money lost to corruption could have been used to build classrooms, roads, etc. That made me excited. I thought that if he improves or at least maintains that pace in a race, he’d probably have his PR (personal record) but he did not. He declined and he declined terribly.

I had a bad morning that day and the only thing that kept me going was the thought of the SONA. As an anti corruption advocate, I was looking forward to how he’d flesh out his rhetorics on fighting corruption and improving governance during the campaign. I had high expectations not only because he projected himself worthy of it but also because I believe that I deserve no less from any President especially from someone who campaigned on reform and change.

I waited for him to lay down practical ways, concrete steps, realistic mechanisms and sound policies to improve transparency and accountability but I heard very few of these from a President that bragged about his pledge to good governance.

I also hoped that he would reiterate his commitment to the passage of the Freedom of Information bill but silence was the only thing I heard.

Until now, I could not think of any innocent reason why he failed to mention it. In the aftermath of the June 4 tragedy when the 14th Congress killed the FOI bill, he said in an interview that he’d prioritize its passage. So what happened?

My questions:

  • If he was so committed to transparency and fighting corruption, then there should be no way he could overlook the passage of this bill as a necessary component of that.
  • If he was able to mention other bills like the Witness Protection Program and the Whistleblower’s Act as important pieces of legislation in intensifying the fight against corruption, why not the FOI bill which by far has more direct impact on anti corruption?
  • If he’s someone who keeps his word, as he projects himself to be, why did he not fulfill his commitment to the people in his June 4 or 5 interview?
  • Did he completely disregard the appeal of more than 160 civil society organizations from the Right to Know. Right Now! network that sent him a letter, few days before the SONA, appealing for the inclusion of the passage of the bill in his priority agenda?
  • What's the real deal, Sir?

There were other parts of the SONA that did not sit well with me like the proposed amendment of the Procurement Act and the public-private partnership as one of his major policies to raise funds. I was also hoping he’d say something about land reform, environment. But the biggest blow for me was the FOI bill. Not that this would totally block the bill but his mention would have put more weight on the necessity and urgency of passing it. That would have sent a clear and strong message to the legislature that it’s his priority and would have placed the bill first in the agenda of both houses.

When CSOs lost the battle in the 14th Congress, everyone tried to comfort us by saying that the coming Congress will be a walk in the park considering the pronouncements of a President who has more integrity than the previous one but yesterday’s SONA painted a different picture. It led us to go back to the drawing board and prepare for an equally or even more challenging battle.

The first words that came out of my mouth after the last applause were, “why?! how?! and shoot!!!”

The SONA left me hanging, to say the least. I was beyond frustrated I did a 10K run after. But unlike the SONA, I increased pace slowly to avoid another injury.


Photo:http://wwnn.co.uk/pnoy-sona-2010-english-translation-of-pres-benigno-s-aquino-iiis-state-of-the-nation-address/2054/

4 comments:

  1. whew! you are really passionate about the FOI thing. yes, i agree with you that he should prioritize that sif he is really serious on corruption issues.one thing more, he didn't say anything about the youth. that's sad altogether. btw, meron ba syang agenda? i think he doesn't have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James! Yes I am. I strongly believe in the value of the bill and have been part of the efforts to push it. Yeah, nothing on the youth. Agenda? Meron naman but some are really disturbing. Let's see what will happen while we do our part as citizens. Hey! Long time, no see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ate Rey. Yep, really frustrating. But let's see how this goes. I hope our belief in him is going somewhere.

    ReplyDelete