Sunday, August 16, 2015

Running back to running

 

Let me resurrect this blog. Let me relive the days. Let me remember.

Running is the only partner that will not ask any question when you decide to embrace it again after taking some time off and setting it aside. Its comments are probably expressed through sore muscles here and there; that high heart rate that you never had when you and running were dating more often but other than that it still gives you the same satisfaction and the high that you need to escape from the realities you face. It comforts you no less and warms your heart just the same. It doesn’t judge the choices you’ve made and doesn’t bother you with a list of your mistakes because it recognizes the fact that the very reason you’re back in its arms is that you knew, you learned.

Running, I realized, is such a fundamental part of who I am. Competing is a different story but running, I mean running regularly that I chose to set aside for a while, makes a lot of difference to my being. I don’t completely regret those times that I took a break but I cannot deny the fact that I missed it and I only felt it when I came back.



I ran to running during my most vulnerable moments; when sweat was what I needed to cover the tears; when my body longed for physical torture to surpass the emotions that overwhelmed me. It was there, run was there. I was silent, I was crying, I was catching my breath and the run was there allowing me to stay still, to mourn while I gasp for perspective and clarity.

I can change. People around me can change. Running remains. It’s like my family that constantly and unconditionally loves me; it’s like my dear and real friends that welcomed me with open arms and journeyed with me after I’ve hurt them without demand for any apology or explanation.

Running may just be a sport to many or another form of exercise but in time you’d know that it’s more than just what you expected it would be and I’d forever be grateful I discovered it.

I will run as long as I can. I may still have lull moments but I know that I will always return to it every time I need to find my way back home.

This it for now. Off for a run! J

No comments:

Post a Comment